Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday's Musings

Sunday mornings can be a lazy, contemplative time if I attend Mass the night before. Yesterday was like that. I spent the first hour of the morning engaged in an engaging conversation on the topic of Spiritual Lightness with one one of my favorite contemplative communities on Twitter, #SpiritChat. What exactly does that mean within the context of daily life? My Twitter colleagues and I pondered, personalized, and shared responses. I released this thought for others to respond to: "Writing is another remedy for restlessness. It can be a spiritual healer when heaviness comes in." 

Writing can be seen as a cathartic act, a cleansing of the soul, a release of emotions. It is the act by which we can interact with our thoughts and allow our voice to emerge. Sometimes prompts can be the trigger to awaken feelings and allow words to swirl around until they solidify into nuggets of writing. One such prompt today adds flavor to my Monday's musings. Heidi Mordhorst's Forward...MarCH Poetry Challenge asks writers to explore the word inch. 

The first step in the process of creating a poem based on CH prompt word is to read what Heidi and other writers have created. Next, is to think deeply how this word, inch, could fit into my Winter Whisperings Gallery of artistic expressions that I am designing.  A photo I took of one my vintage treasures passed on to me by my mother catches my interest. I reflect in the quiet of the early morning and let thoughts of the years my mother spent with my family float in my being. Inch by inch, words solidified and an expression of love unfolded below.

You inch your way into my heart
with movable eyes and memories.
Inch by inch, I scan your petite frame,
reminisce about your history, 
and recall when you were lovingly
given to me once upon a year.

Each winter, you grace my home.

With 20th century charm, 
you find a way to bring back a time 
when a mother passed on a treasure
to her child for her children's pleasure.

The hearts you wear emote feelings

of love once released upon a tender,
heart-filled moment on a winter's day.
Your tiny hearts fill the room with a
lifetime of thoughts as you inch 
your way back into a drawer
to rest in memories. 
2015 Carol Varsalona. All Rights Reserved


Whether it be a memory, a new thought, or a vivid emotion, writing can provide an avenue to explore life in a positive framework. Let today's thoughts swirl around so that you can create one lasting image to bring a sense of peace, calm, and lightness to your day for within our psyche lay a multitude of memories and joys that need awakening.  

Write, Share, GiveTo hear the words of the bloggers of the March Slice of Life Story Challenge, move over to Two Writing Teachers. It is hard to believe that we are already on Day 16 of the writing challenge. At this halfway mark, an appropriate quote was offered today: "Never, never, never give up." -Winston Churchill

May you enjoy this beautiful March morning. The sun is shining brightly as winter transitions into spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment