Thursday, December 17, 2015

December Gifts

"What we are waiting for is less important than why we are waiting. We must be patient as we wait." ~from a homily at St. Agnes Cathedral 
Throughout the month of December, small gifts come our way. They are not material ones but gifts full of spirit, kindness, and good will. Are we aware when they arrive or are we too caught up in the hurried lifestyle of shopping, gifting, decorating, and preparing? 

What can we do to slow down our pace so we listen to each other and open our hearts as we prepare for Christmas?

This past week, I was fortunate to have received two gifts of words that allowed me to stop and ponder the meaning of gifts. Bobbie Ann Taylor, a Spiritual Journey Thursday colleague, sent me a small poetry pad filled with inspirational poems that she compiled and had printed. This accompanied a beautiful a Christmas card. The gesture touched my heart. In return I created the following.


Today, I read a slice by my colleague Linda Baie. In it she quoted Charles Dickens.
Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts. 
Linda's gift of words was sent out to the world and I happened to not only see if but be touched by it. The gift of words is a treasure that provides contemplative thought at a time when the hustle and bustle of life may not. 

I thank my two friends, Linda and Bobbie, for their gift of words as I patiently wait for another arrival on Christmas day. Once again, it is not the material gifts that may be under the tree, but the spiritual ones that can find a place in my heart. May you wait patiently to see the small gifts that come your way. 

Here is a lovely song about a heartfelt gift that you may enjoy.



Please visit Spiritual Journey Thursday hosted by Holly Mueller to hear other bloggers' thoughts on the topic of gifts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment