Monday, February 15, 2016

The Force Within

As I sit to compose a post for Day 16 of Laura Shovan's Found Object Poem Project, I recall a steamy hot day in St. Louis last summer. It was one of those days when the heat envelops one's entire being. While dragging a heavy luggage from the Metro to the hotel prior to the ILA 15 Conference, I came upon an amazing piece of street art, a sculpture of great magnitude. The sleek, steel edifice was perfectly poised just sitting there for all to gap at. It reflected the light and spoke of power. To me it was a force upon the street. 

When Laura called for unusual objects, I sent her the photo of the sculpture along with others. I did not know which photo she would choose for her project so I was pleasantly surprised when she announced the objects of the week. Although I know what this one is, I am stumped at how to begin a poem for Laura's Day 16 #foundobjectpoem. 


Image for Laura Shovan's
Day 16 #foundobjectpoem

My initial thought was "May the force be with you!" Coupling that statement with the questions that were offered tonight on the NYEDChat Twitter conversation made me turn my thoughts to the force that all educators would like to have shine from each student.

This poem evolved as words were spinning in my head. While it is more of an inspirational statement than a poem, it is my starting point-a statement of power that I would like each child to claim and each teacher to foster. 


You can access information about Laura Shovan's Found Object Poem Project here

I am also offering this post to Two Writing Teachers for Tuesdays' Slice of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment